27-5. TEE GEAR BOX REPAIR (CONT)
Wear eye protection and use care
when Installing retaining rings.
Retaining rings are under spring
tension and can act as projectiles
when released causing severe eye
Skip step (3) if shaft has machined
shoulder instead of retaining ring.
(3) Install new retaining ring (5) on pinion shaft (6).
(4) Position outer bearin g cone (1) small side down
on suitable press.
(5) Press pinion shaft (6) threaded end down into
outer bearing cone (1).
Support inner bearing cone on press.
(6) Position inner bearing cone (2) and pinion end
plate (4) inner side down on suitable press.
(7) Press pinion shaft (6) threaded end down into
pinion end plate (4) and inner bearing cone (2).
(8) Install woodruff key (7) in pinion shaft (6).
(9) Position pinion gear (8) toothed side down on
Do not bottom out pinion end plate
on inner bearing cup when installing.
Failure to comply may result in
improper bearing adjustment.
(10) Align slot in gear (8) with woodruff key (7) and
press pinion shaft (6) into gear (8).
(11) Position pinion shaft (6) in soft-jawed vise.
When properly adjusted, pinion end
plate should rotate freely on shaft,
with no noticeable end play.
(12) Install locknut (9) on pinion shaft (6).
(13) Remove pinion shaft (6) from vise.
27-46 Change 1