27-2. STEERING PUMP REPAIR (CONT)
(9) Check for excessive end play between
piston and shoe.
Piston faces' thickness dimensions
must within 0.001 in. (0.025 mm) of
(10) Measure thickness of nine piston faces.
Pins, bearings, and races are
replaced in sets. If one is defective,
(11) Inspect pins for equal length and bent
condition. Replace if damaged.
(12) Remove burrs from pin retainer
(13) Inspect bearings for scoring, pitting, and
roughness when turned in race. Replace
(14) Inspect bearing spacers for burrs.
(15) Press in check valve (1). Valve should
return and hold firm against seat. Replace
(16) Inspect spherical washer for burrs, wear,
and scratches due to pin breakage.
d. Front Housing Assembly
Use plastic tape on shaft to prevent
damage to seal when installing.
Bearing race is installed with narrow
side to inside of housing.
(1) Install bearing race (1) in pump housing
(2) Install seal (3) in pump housing (2).
Wear eye protection and use care
when installing retaining rings.
Retaining rings are under spring
tension and can act as projectiles
when released causing severe eye
(3) Install retaining ring (4) in pump housing