25-4. AXLE NO. 4 DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR (CONT)
On direct contact, uncured silicone
sealant irritates eyes.
In case of
contact, flush eyes with water and
seek medical attention. In case of
skin contact, wipe off and flush with
(7) Coat outer edge of new pinion seal (10)
with silicone adhesive-sealant.
Pinion seal is installed properly when
top surface of seal is 1/16 in. (1.59
mm) below housing.
(8) Install new pinion seal (10) in housing (2).
(9) Coat splines of pinion shaft (5) with
Large openings of yoke must align
with notches in input shaft to ease
staking of nut.
(10) Install yoke (11) and new nut (12) on
pinion shaft (5) using socket (12.1).
Torque to 486-572 Ib-ft (659-775 Nm )
using yoke holder (13) with aid of
(11) Stake edge of nut (12) in notches of pinion
Pinion gear should rotate with 38-48
lb-in. (4.4-5.4 N⋅m) of torque. Repeat
steps (1) thru (11) if over these limits.
(12) Check pinion preload by turning nut (12)
with torque wrench.
25-66 Change 1