25-4. AXLE NO. 4 DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR (CONT)
(1) Clean old gasket material from housing and/or caps.
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is toxic and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves and use only in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and
clothes, and don't breathe vapors. DO NOT use near open flame or excessive heat.
The flash point is 100-138 F (38-59 C). If you become dizzy while using cleaning
solvent, get fresh air immediately and medical aid. If contact with eyes is made,
wash your eyes with water and get medical aid immediately.
(2) Clean sealant residue from threaded holes with dry cleaning solvent
Wash machined parts separately to avoid damage from parts bumping together.
(3) Wash metal parts in dry cleaning solvent.
Compressed air for cleaning purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only
with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shield,
(4) Dry parts, except bearings, with compressed air. Allow bearings to air dry.
(5) Remove small nicks or burrs with crocus cloth.
(6) Coat parts with light coat of lubricating oil.
(7) Inspect housing and caps for damage.
(8) Inspect all parts and bearings with machined surfaces for deep scratches or wear grooves.
(9) Replace damaged parts.
(1) Install filler plug (1) in differential housing