19-10. PISTON, CONNECTING ROD, AND LINER REPAIR (CONT)
(14) Install two spacers (9) on two screws (10).
International no. 2 compound can
bum easily, can give off harmful
vapors, and Is harmful to skin and
clothing. To avoid Injury or death,
keep away from open fire and use In
If no. 2
compound gets on skin or clothing,
wash Immediately with soap and
(15) Coat threads and head contact surface of
two screws (10) with international no. 2
(16) Insert connecting rod (11) in piston skirt
(17) Install screws (10) finger tight.
(18) Place connecting rod (11) in soft-jawed
(19) Tighten two screws (10) to 55-60 lb-ft (75-
Replace piston rings in sets only.
(20) Coat ring grooves in piston crown (1) and
skirt (4) with lubricating oil.
Position ring gaps 120 degrees apart
around piston crown.
(21) Install new lower piston ring (12) in bottom
groove of piston crown (1).
(22) Install new middle piston ring (13) in
center groove of piston crown (1).
Black side of top ring faces top of
Top ring has two punch marks on
(23) Install new top piston ring (14) (ring with
beveled sides) in top groove of piston
(24) Install two new oil ring expanders (15) on
piston skirt (4) with ends pointing up.
(25) Remove piston from vise and place upside
down on hard work surface.