19-10. PISTON, CONNECTING ROD, AND LINER REPAIR (CONT)
(11) Insert new piston rings (8), one at a time
inside cylinder liner (5) far enough to be in
area of ring travel 2-3 in. (25-75 mm)
deep. Use piston skirt to position ring
parallel with top of cylinder liner.
End of rings must be filed if gap is
too small. File from outer surface to
inner surface. Ends of rings must
(12) Measure ring gap (9) with feeler gage.
Three compression rings should have a
gap of 0.025-0.045 in. (0.63-1.1 mm).
Two oil rings (upper slotted) should have a
gap of 0.007-0.017 in. (0.18-0.43 mm).
Two oil rings (lower) should have a gap of
0.010-0.025 in. (0.25-0.63 mm).
Top ring has two punch marks on
Black side of ring faces top of
(13) Install new top compression ring (10) with
two punch marks (11) up on top groove of
piston crown (2).
(14) Measure clearance between compression
ring (10) and groove; clearance should be
Remove top compression ring (10).
(15) Insert new middle compression ring (12) in
middle groove on piston crown (2);
clearance should be 0.004-0.007 in. (0.10-