MAIN BEARING AND CRANKSHAFT REPAIR (CONT )
Ensure both ends of bearing shell are
flush with bearing cap mounting
(27) Install another new bearing shell (17) on bearing
surface (23) at front of engine block (1).
(28) Align tabs (27) with slots (28) and install two
new bearing shells (16) on bearing caps (11 and
12). Make sure both ends of bearing shells are
flush with bearing cap mounting surfaces (29).
Grooved sides of thrust bearing point
away from bearing cap.
(29) Install two new thrust bearings (22) on rear main
bearing cap (12).
(30) Coat crankshaft front and rear main bearing
journals (30) with oil.
Crankshaft weighs 185 lb (84 kg).
Keep out from under crankshaft
when It Is supported by lifting device.
If crankshaft falls, serious Injury or
death may result.
(31) Attach lifting device to crankshaft (2).
(32) Guide crankshaft while assistant operates lifting
device to install crankshaft (2).
Thrust bearings are installed only at
bearing surface on rear of engine
(33) Push crankshaft (2) to front and install new
thrust bearing (24). Push crankshaft to rear and
install other new thrust bearing (24).