Store crankshaft on end. Crankshaft
may bend If stored on side.
(22) Attach lifting device to crankshaft (2).
Crankshaft weighs 185 lb (84 kg).
Keep out from under crankshaft
when it Is supported by lifting device.
If crankshaft falls, serious Injury or
death may result.
(23) Guide crankshaft (2) while assistant operates
lifting device to remove crankshaft.
(24) Remove two remaining upper bearing shells (17)
from bearing surfaces (23) at front and rear of
engine block (1).
(25) Remove two thrust bearings (24) from rear
upper bearing surface (23).
Upper bearing shells have a through
slot for lubrication. Upper bearing
shells are installed in cylinder block.
Failure to comply will block off oil
flow and damage to equipment may
If runout measured during testing is
not within limits, do steps (26) thru
(36) to see if bearing shell caused
crankshaft runout. (26) Align tab (25)
on new upper bearing shell (17) with
(26) on engine block rear main bearing surface (23).