3-21. VALVE MECHANISM - REPLACE (Cont'd)
(6) Install washer (16), spring (15),
washer (14) and retaining ring
(13) onto the other end of the
rocker shaft (17).
(7) Lightly coat all rocker shaft
components with clean OE/HDO 30
Each time the capscrew (7) is
removed, a new packing (12) must
be installed in the bracket (9).
(8) Install a new packing (12) into
If the original valve lifters
are to be installed in the
engine, ensure that they are
installed in their original
(9) Install push rods (6) into
cylinder head block assemblies.
The dowel pins in the brackets
must be in alignment with the
holes in the cylinder head. If
the pins and holes are not
properly aligned when the
rocker shaft capscrews are
installed and tightened,
damage to the rocker shaft
(10) Align dowel pins in the brackets
(9 and 11) with the holes in the
cylinder head assembly, and place
rocker shaft (5) in position.