28-6. POWER TAKEOFF REPAIR (CONT)
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is toxic and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves and use only In a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and
clothes, and don't breathe vapors. Do not use near open flame or excessive heat.
The flash point Is 100-138 F (38-59 C). If you become dizzy while using cleaning
solvent, get fresh air Immediately and get medical aid. If contact with eyes Is
made, wash your eyes with water and get medical aid Immediately.
(1) Clean metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect friction discs for wear. If oil grooves are not visible on any portion of any friction disc, replace all
(3) Inspect clutch spring for breaks or discoloration. Replace spring if broken or discolored.
(4) Inspect idler shaft, output shaft, and thrust washers for nicks, burrs, grooves, warps, bends, or other
damage. If nicks, burrs, or grooves cannot be removed with emery cloth, replace part.
(5) Inspect remaining parts for damage. Replace damaged parts.
(6) Coat parts with lubricating oil.
Wear eye protection and use care
when Installing retaining rings.
Retaining rings are under spring
tension and can act as projectiles
when released causing severe eye
(1) Install two new preformed packings (1)
and new retaining ring (2) on output shaft