25-4. AXLE NO. 4 DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR (CONT)
Adhesive-sealant can burn easily,
can give off harmful vapors, and is
harmful to skin and clothing. To
avoid injury or death, keep away from
open fire and use in well ventilated
area. If adhesive-sealant gets on skin
or clothing, wash immediately with
soap and water.
(22) Coat capscrew (25) with adhesive-sealant
(Item 6, Appendix B).
(23) Install capscrew (25) in lockplate (26) and
bearing cap (21). Torque to 11-18 lb-ft
(24) Check backlash of differential (16) to
pinion shaft (5).
(25) Hold yoke (11) so pinion gear (27) does
Do not allow pinion gear to turn while
doing steps (27) thru (29).
(26) Turn differential (16) counterclockwise
until it stops to take up backlash.
Shaft from dial indicator must be at
right (90 ) angle to face of tooth when
(27) Install dial indicator (28) on face of
differential gear tooth (29).
(28) Turn differential (16) clockwise until it
Backlash should be 0.008-0.011 in.
backlash, reduce thickness of shim.
To decrease backlash, increase
thickness of shim.
(29) Record differential (16) to pinion shaft (5)
backlash measured on dial indicator (28).
(30) Coat gear teeth of ring gear (30) with
prussian blue dye.
Check for correct
pattern by rotation. Remove and adjust
shims as necessary.