Adhesive-sealant can burn easily,
can give off harmful vapors, and is
harmful to skin and clothing. To
avoid injury or death, keep away from
open fire and use in well-ventilated
area. If adhesive-sealant gets on skin
or clothing, wash immediately with
soap and water.
(7) Coat new pinion seal (10) outer edge with
Pinion seal is installed properly when
top of seal is 1/16 in. (1.59 mm)
below surface of housing.
(8) Install new pinion seal (10) in housing (2).
On direct contact, uncured silicone
sealant irritates eyes.
In case of
contact, flush eyes with water and
seek medical attention. In case of
skin contact, wipe off and flush with
(9) Coat splines of pinion shaft (5) with
(10) Coat threads of pinion shaft (5) with
Yoke should be positioned so large
openings of yoke align with notches
of pinion shaft. This will ease staking
(11) Install yoke (11) and new nut (12) on
pinion shaft (5) using socket (12.1).
Torque to 486-572 lb-ft (659-775 Nm).
(12) Bend edge of nut (12) into notches of
pinion shaft (5).
(13) Check pinion preload by turning nut (12)
with torque wrench. Torque should be 38-
48 lb-in. (4.31-5.44 Nm).
Change 1 24-9