23-2. TRANSFER CASE REPAIR (CONT)
(109) Remove six screws (50), adapter end
plate (47), and shims (46) from rear half
(48). Discard lockwashers.
Adhesive-sealant can burn easily,
can give off harmful vapors, and is
harmful to skin and clothing. To
avoid Injury or death, keep away from
open fire and use In well-ventilated
area. If adhesive-sealant gets on skin
or clothing, wash immediately with
soap and water.
(110) Coat shims (46) and screws (50) with
adhesive-sealant (Item 6, Appendix B).
The number of shims installed is
amount required to obtain correct
(111) Install shims (46) and adapter end plate
(47) on rear half (48) with six screws (50).
Torque to 60 lb-ft (81 Nm).
(111.1) Install cover plate (103.1) on adapter end
plate (47) with two washers (103.2) and
(112) Turn transfer case (102) over so front half
(86) faces up.
(113) Install screw (66) in front input shaft (29).
(114) Lightly tap down on front input shaft (29)
to seat bearings.
(115) Install dial indicator (67) on front input
(116) Pry up on screw (66) on front input shaft
End play must be 0.003-0.006 in.
(0.076-0.15 mm). If end play is less
than 0.003 in (0.076 mm), shims must
be added. If end play is greater than
0.006 in. (0.15 mm), shims must be
(117) Check and record end play measured on
dial indicator (67).
(118) Remove screw (66) and dial indicator (67)
from front input shaft (29).