22-9. FIFTH CLUTCH REPAIR (CONT)
Clearance is satisfactory when
thinner portion of gage will pass
between backplate and clutch plates;
the thicker portion of the gage will
(7) Hold backplate (9) firmly against snap ring (10).
Insert gage and check clearance between
backplate and clutch pack (11).
should be 0.80-0.120 in. (2.03-3.04 mm). If
measurement is incorrect, replace clutch plates
(8) Install bottom half of clutch spring compressor
tool (12) under clutch housing (3).
(9) Install 20 piston return springs (13) on piston (6).
(10) Install spring retainer (14) outer lip down on 20
piston return springs (13).
Wear eye protection and use care
when installing snap rings. Snap
rings are under spring tension and
can act as projectiles when released
causing severe eye injury.
(11) Install clutch spring compressor tool (12) and
press on spring retainer (14) until snap ring
groove on clutch hub is visible. Install snap ring
(12) Lubricate and install thrust bearing race (16) on
rear hub of clutch housing (3).
(1) Ensure thrust bearing race (1) is in place on the
rear hub of clutch housing (2).
(2) Attach lifting bracket (3) to fifth clutch assembly
(4) and install fifth clutch into transmission (5).
(3) Engage internal splines with splines on center
sun gear shaft (6).
f. Follow-On Maintenance
Install fourth clutch (para 22-10).