(8) Turn piston ( 1) over. Remove seal rings (12
and 13) from piston (11). Discard seal rings.
(9) Record piston identification letter (X, Y, or Z)
found on bottom side of piston (11).
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680 is toxic and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves and use only in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and
clothes, and don't breathe vapors. DO NOT use near open flame or excessive heat.
The flash point Is 100-138 F (38-59 C). If you become dizzy while using cleaning
solvent, get fresh air immediately and medical aid. If contact with eyes is made,
wash your eyes with water and get medical aid immediately.
(1) Clean metal parts with dry cleaning solvent and inspect for damage. Repl ace damaged parts.
Compressed air for cleaning purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use only
with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment (goggles/shield,
(2) Dry metal parts with compressed air.
(3) Measure piston release spring lengths using
spring tester (1). Replace piston release springs
if any 3 of each set of 20 do not meet the
following load-height requirements:
(a) Length without load must be at least 1.25
in. (31.8 mm).
(b) Length under load must be at least 0.88
in. (22.4 mm) with a load of 17.9-18.9 lb
(4) Measure individual clutch plate thickness by
measuring amount of cone. The amount of cone
is the distance between the inside diameter and
(a) Friction plate: Minimum thickness 0.0993
in. (2.522 mm)
(b) Steel clutch plate: Minimum thickness
0.090 in. (2.29 mm)
(c) Backplate: Minimum thickness 0.390 in.