3-19. CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS - REPLACE (Cont'd)
(8) Mark each nut (1) and the end of
the capscrew (3). Tighten the
nuts an additional 90 degrees.
(9) Use a wrench to remove the nuts
(1) and the connecting rod caps
Do not turn the crankshaft
when the plastigage is in
(10) Measure the width of the
plastigage. The connecting rod
clearance must be 0.0030 to
0.0066 in. for the new bearings.
The maximum clearance with the
used bearings is 0.010 in.
Remove the plastigage.
(11) Follow STEPS 7 and 8.
(12) Apply clean engine oil on the
connecting rod bearings.
(13) Install the engine oil pan plate.
See page 3-119.
c. Place In Service
Run engine and check for proper