25-3. AXLE NO. 3 DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR (CONT)
(15) Install two washers (13) and new locknuts
(14) on studs (15).
(16) Install output shaft assembly (16) and new
preformed packing (17) on differential
Adhesive-sealant can burn easily,
can give off harmful vapors, and is
harmful to skin and clothing. To
avoid injury or death, keep away from
open fire and use in well ventilated
area. If adhesive sealant gets on skin
or clothing, wash immediately with
soap and water.
(17) Coat threads of two screws (18) with
adhesive-sealant (Item 6, Appendix B).
(18) Install two screws (18) on output shaft
assembly (16). Torque to 90 Ib-ft (122
Oil seal is installed properly when top
surface of seal is 1/16 in. (1.59 mm)
(19) Install new oil seal (19) on output shaft
On direct contact, uncured silicone
sealant irritates eyes.
In case of
contact, flush eyes with water and
seek medical attention. In case of
skin contact, wipe off and flush with
(20) Coat splines of output shaft assembly (16)
with silicone adhesive-sealant
(21) Install yoke (20) on output shaft assembly
(16) with nut (21) using socket (21.1).
Torque to 486-572 lb-ft (659-775 Nm )
using yoke holder (22) with aid of
(22) Stake nut (21) in notches of output shaft
f. Follow-On Maintenance
(1) Install axle shafts (para 10-8).
(2) Install axle manifold (TM 9-2320-360-20).
(3) Install brake chambers (TM 9-2320-360-20).
25-56 Change 1