(15) Remove four screws (19) from two
bearing caps (18).
(16) Remove two bearing caps (18) and
adjusting nut (20) from differential housing
(17) Lift differential (9) from housing (21) with
the aid of assistant.
Place on work
Remove taper bearings only if
they fail inspection.
To remove taper bearing from
gear side of differential, first
remove cage and rollers from
under race. Then pry inner race
high enough to install puller.
Tag and mark shims before
(18) Remove adjusting shim (22), taper race
(23), and taper bearing (24) from gear
side of differential (9).
(19) Remove taper race (251 and taper
bearing (26) from other side of differential
During removal of pinion gear, do not
allow gear teeth to engage with the
inside of the housing and cover
Damage to equipment
(20) Install nut (14) loosely on end of pinion
(21) Remove pinion gear (11) from housing
(21) while assistant supports pinion gear
(22) Remove and discard nut (14).
Change 1 24-5