19-4. ENGINE BLOCK REPAIR (CONT)
(1) Scrape gasket material and sealant from engine
High pressure steam may blow
particles Into eyes, may cause severe
bums, and creates hazardous noise
Eye, skin, and hearing
protection Is required to prevent
Injury to personnel.
Oil and water galleries in engine
block must be thoroughly steam
(2) Steam de an engine block.
purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207
kPa). Use only with effective chip
guarding and personal protective
equipment (goggles/shield, gloves,
(4) Inspect grooves (1) and lands (2) for pitting and
Main bearing caps must be installed
in proper positions in engine block
as marked during removal (para 19-
8). Ensure caps are firmly seated in
engine block and that main bearing
shells are removed.
(5) Install 5 main bearing caps (3) in bottom of
engine block (4) with 10 screws (5). Torque to
20 lb-in. (2.3 N-m).
(6) Seat caps (3) by striking with soft-faced
(7) Tighten screws (5) to 50 lb-ft (68 N-m), then to
110 lb-ft (149 N-m), and then to 250 Ib-ft (339 N-